Wednesday, 6 March 2013

One big picnic!

Our lives are really just one big picnic. We love being outside (the baby especially loves sitting on grass?!). We've lived in Scotland for 2 1/2 years now and you have to seize any sunshine opportunity you get- whether it's in February or July! (And let's be honest it's more likely to be in February though it's still very cold.) I was so happy with how these bread buns turned out that we took them on a picnic (and ate them, obviously)!





These bread buns are every experienced picnic lovers friend. 

I have a bit of a 'thing' for M&S ice spiced buns and they looked fairly straight forward so I thought I'd give making them a go! Let's make it clear from the start- they take a while to make. Being yeast based they have to rise AND prove. I made them one Sunday morning and it took all morning, though obviously you can get on with the rest of your life during the rising/proving... so though it takes time this is not a labour intensive recipe. I find making things like these gives me an appreciation for time and effort. All too often we like things to be quick, easy and ready when we want them (and while this might be true for most of everyday life sometimes it's good to take a break from being busy!). There is something about making bread that makes me feel like I want to go slow and make the most of the journey as much as the getting there. 

I'd love to take credit for the recipe but I found it in a copy of Delicious Magazine and you can find it too on the Delicious websiteI added in the fruit and some mixed spice but they'd taste great without! Delicious is my 'go to' magazine when I want to treat myself.  Sometimes I'm swayed by other magazines and their giveaways but call me sad -I trust this magazine and so I get it every time. I even enjoy reading articles about heritage food and food we've all forgotten about/don't even realise is edible anymore! I'm always shocked by how influenced we are by supermarkets and think that our taste buds are limited by what's on offer. I once got mildly accosted by a film crew wanting to share the love of the purple potato. I'd never even heard of them, but I tried it reluctantly and mildly concerned that I might blow up like Violet Beauregarde from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It tasted like potato. Normal coloured potato. Why isn't available in the supermarket? Because we don't like eating food that's not the right colour and so some varieties of food is dying out. Criminal!! 

Anyway. Try the recipe then venture outdoors! 



No comments:

Post a Comment